Partners |Couples| Housemates
We help you to resolve communications challenges, which may have led to difficulties in you marriage or other significant relationship. If your primary relationship is troubled, don’t wait to reach out for professional help. The earlier you and your partner seek counseling, the less likely it is for further hurt, disappointment and overwhelming levels of stress to further damage your relationship. Gaining the communications tools and insights needed to mend relationships is what we seek to accomplish in counseling.
Couples Counseling, Including Lesbian & Gay Couples
A common concern faced by those who seek out a counselor for help with their relationship is trusting in the neutrality of the counselor. This concern my raise questions such as:
- Will a male counselor overly identify with husbands/male partners?
- Will a female counselor overly identify with wives/female partners?
- Could the counselor take sides rather than staying complete neutral?
In couples counseling, counselors see the relationship as the client, and endeavor to always stay fair, neutral and balanced. When people seek out counseling for a relationship that is in trouble, one or both partners begin with one of these perspectives:
- “I very much want to mend our relationship and stay together. Even though there is hurt and confusion, I hope to heal that hurt and learn to communicate in ways that make us strong again as a couple. That is what I wish for through couples counseling.”
- “I am uncertain if we can mend our relationship and stay together or not. I hope to discover much more about what led us to this place in our relationship, and what makes sense for us going forward. Couples counseling will let us both know if it is possible for us to heal our relationship and stay together long-term.”
- “I don’t believe that couples counseling will result in us staying together. It is not my desire at this time to continue the relationship. I will engage in couples counseling to navigate this complicated and emotionally painful change so that my partner and I can form separate lives, in terms of our relationship, while still doing our best to cooperate in the future to co-parent children, be civil at family events, and communicate respectfully.”
Even if you are facing extreme challenges, such as infidelity, extreme financial stress or a loss of intimacy, there can be a fresh start and a return to more open communication and perhaps even to a place of closeness. Whatever the outcome of couples counseling, you and your partner will gain a good deal of insight, which will serve you both for the rest of your lives. Please note: We will not advise you to break up. We won’t advise you to stay together either. In counseling you are empowered to decide. Our role is help you gain clarity on your own thoughts, feelings and wants as well as clarity about your relationship.
Please call us at 320-257-1646, text at 320-223-9481, or email us, and we can briefly talk about your situation. After our initial no-cost conversation, we will both know if it makes sense for us to work together to better things for you. If we it would be better for you to work with another counselor, will do our best to help you find one who is better suited to your situation.
* Telephone sessions may be arranged. Although we do not accept insurance, our rates are very affordable. We have a sliding fee scale with reasonable minimums. * We Welcome & Affirm LGBTQ Clients. [ The St Cloud Counseling Service Area that we serve: Saint Cloud, Waite Park, Sartell, Sauk Rapids, St Joseph, Collegeville, Rice, Foley & Central Minnesota Zip Codes: 56301, 56302, 56303, 56304, 56387, 56377, 56379, 56307, 55302, 56310, 56314, 55319, 55320, 56321, 56374, 56345, 56352, 55362, ]